Swype a Word
To Swype a word, start with your finger on the first letter of the word and trace a path from letter to letter, lifting your finger off of the screen after the last letter of the word. The screenshot to the right shows the trace path for the word “Swype”.
Swype Enters Spaces for You
Swype automatically inserts a space between words when you Swype the next word in your sentence – don’t tap the Space bar, just keep Swyping!
Word Choice List
When there are multiple suggestions for the word you Swype’d, Swype will display a Word Choice List (WCL). To accept the default word in the WCL, just keep Swyping. Otherwise, scroll through the list by sliding your finger on the WCL, and then tap the word you want to enter.
Changing a Word
If Swype does not output the word you wanted, tap on the word and select an alternate from the WCL. To quickly replace a word, simply single-tap or double-tap on the word and Swype a replacement word.
Remove Unwanted Words from Swype’s Default Dictionary
You can remove words that came with Swype’s default dictionary. To remove a default dictionary word, Swype the word you wish to remove, then press-hold on the word in the WCL. After you confirm to remove the word when the popup prompt appears, the word won’t get in your way again!
Change your mind? Just tap the word letter by letter and it will re-activate in the default dictionary – now you can Swype the word again!
Press and hold the Swype key to access Swype Settings. You can also highlight the last word you entered for editing/deletion by tapping on the Swype key one time.
Swype one-letter words like “a” and “I” by Swyping from the letter to the Space key.
Many words with punctuation and punctuation combinations are in the Swype default dictionary, making them easier to enter when Swyping (e.g. I’m, I’ll, it’s, how’s, etc.).
To bring up a list of all the characters available on a key, press-hold on a key such as the ‘A’ key on the Swype keyboard.
To enter an alternate character from Swype’s symbols layer, tap the +!= (symbols) key. Where the Shift key was, you can see that there are two pages that you can toggle for a more complete selection of alternate characters.
Swype gestures are shortcuts on the Swype keyboard that help you quickly accomplish common tasks such as inserting punctuation, and highlighting/cutting/copying/pasting text.
- Insert Punctuation: Swype from the comma, period, or other punctuation marks to the Space key. The punctuation and a Space will enter automatically.
- Select All: To select all of the text you entered, just Swype from the Swype key to the ‘A’ key on the keyboard.
- Copy: To copy text, highlight to select the text, then Swype from the Swype key to the ‘C’ key on the keyboard.
- Cut: To cut text, highlight to select the text, then Swype from the Swype key to the ‘X’ key on the keyboard.
- Paste: To paste text after performing a gesture to ‘Copy’ or ‘Cut’ the text, Swype from the Swype key to the ‘V’ key on the keyboard.
- Search: To do a web search, highlight to select the text, then Swype from the Swype key to the ‘S’ key on the keyboard.
- Launch Dragon Mobile Assistant from Swype: Users who have Dragon Mobile Assistant v3.1 and Swype v1.5 installed can launch Dragon Mobile Assistant from the Swype keyboard by Swyping from the Swype key to the Dragon key, or press-holding on the Dragon key. (US-only)
- Num Pad: To quickly get to the Swype keyboard’s num pad, Swype from the Swype key to the ‘T’ key.
- Edit Layer: The Edit layer allows the you to move the cursor within text, as well as perform other editing tasks (Select All, Cut, Copy, Paste, etc.). To get to the Edit layer, Swype from the Swype key to the Symbols key (+!=) on the keyboard.
- Change Languages: Quickly change between your current and previously-used languages by Swyping from the Swype key to the Space bar. You must use both languages before this gesture will work.
- Capitalization: Capitalize a letter while Swyping by gliding your finger from the letter up past the top of the keyboard and, without lifting, gliding your finger back down to the next letter of the word.
- Edit the Case of a Word: Change the case of a word after you enter it by tapping the word in the text field and then Swyping from the Swype key to the Shift key. A Word Choice List with capitalization options will display, allowing you to choose lower case, Capitalized, or ALL CAPS.
- Hide the Swype Keyboard: To hide your Swype keyboard, Swype from the Swype key to the backspace key.
- Disable Auto-spacing: You can disable Auto-spacing spacing by Swyping from the Space key to the backspace key.